How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Take your pet to the vet
Pay the vet bill
Send us your claim
Get money back
How Is Insurance for Pets Different Than Human Healthcare?
- No network of providers to worry about
- Use any licensed vet, animal hospital, emergency clinic or veterinary specialist nationwide
- Veterinary offices don’t have to “accept” it, because we do all the claim processing
- Pet insurance companies don’t want to mandate veterinary prices- that is why PetFirst pays a percentage of what you are actually being charged, not a pre-determined rate
- Claims are processed quickly- in less than two weeks
Pet Insurance Enrollment With PetFirst:
- No vet exam required
- Accident coverage begins at midnight EST following enrollment
- Illness coverage begins 14-days later
- Plans available for cats and dogs of all ages & breeds
- No sign-up fee
- No cancellation fee
- 14-day money back guarantee
- Pre-existing conditions will not prevent you from obtaining coverage
Just like all pet insurance companies, pre-existing conditions will not be covered. Find out more about pre-existing conditions. However, PetFirst will still enroll pets with current issues or conditions, and reimburse for any future issues that arise unrelated to the pre-existing condition.
How Much Does Pet Insurance Cost?
The cost of pet insurance will vary based on the pet’s age, breed and zip code they live in, as well as the plan coverage, limits and options you choose. Most pet insurance premiums will increase each year as the pet ages, since the risk for more expensive veterinary care costs increase too. Pet insurance is considered a property & casualty (P&C) line of insurance, and all plans and rates must be filed and approved by each state’s Department of Insurance.
Flexible Pet Insurance Coverage With PetFirst:
- Upgrade, downgrade or cancel coverage at anytime
- Ability to pay monthly or annually
- You choose your annual benefit amount (it resets each year), reimbursement percentage and deductible
- No per-incident or lifetime limits- you can be sure your pet has coverage for issues that pop-up, no matter what age
Is Pet Insurance Worth It?
- Every 6 seconds a pet owner is faced with a vet bill of more than $1,000
- A pet receives emergency medical care every 2.5 seconds in the U.S.
- 1-in-3 pets need emergency veterinary treatment every year
- U.S. pet parents are expected to spend more than $15 billion this year on veterinary care alone
The Cost of Top 10 Common Claims from PetFirst Policyholders
What Is The Cost of Veterinary Care for Dogs and Cats?
If you have been to the vet lately, you may have experienced sticker shock. You aren’t alone. Pet parents are expected to spend more than $15 billion on veterinary care this year, which has been increasing nearly 6% year over year for the past decade.
At the same time, veterinary medicine is making more extensive testing and treatment options readily available to pet owners – allowing pets to live longer, happier lives. Previously reserved for their human counterparts, pets are now able to be treated for almost anything from arthritis and anxiety to cancer and seizures.
Let PetFirst protect your pet and your wallet from expensive vet costs. Get a free pet insurance quote now to see how much a plan for your dog, cat or entire fur-family is.